Monday, July 15, 2013

move it Monday - c25k

Okay so, I got some really horrible news at the gym this week............the calorie counter on the treadmill is not accurate......I cringe. I've mentioned more than once that I am a complete beginner so here I am thinking that I'm burning this many calories when really I'm not. The trainer said the counter on the treadmill is always either too low or too high, never correct. It consistently counts calories and doesn't adjust or something like that. I don't really know. But, here's how my nightmare began:

After two and a half weeks of walking for an hour 3-4 times a week (burning what I thought was around 400 cal) I was already becoming bored. My Mom told me about the Couch to 5k app, so I got it and started last Tuesday. The program is designed for 30 minutes a day, 3 days a week for 8 weeks. By the end of the 8 weeks you should be able to run (jog) a 5k without stopping. After day 1 of week 1 I was finished with my 30 minutes, wringing sweat, more tired than I ever was walking an hour and I look down to see that I only burned 190 calories. I was pissed! I marched to the office and was like what is up?? I'm in there jogging and I only burned half of the calories.... So he tried to convince me not to worry about the calorie counter and that the C25K program is much better than walking one full hour. He actually said it is more beneficial for your body to do more strenuous training for less amount of time than vice versa; and a cardio session shouldn't last much longer than 45 minutes. AND that it's bad to use the incline (which is what I've been doing so my little calorie counter went higher, duh!). He said that the incline on a treadmill is unnatural and is nothing like walking outside. He also said using the incline too much is the number one cause of shin splints and some other knee problem I can't remember the name of.

Long story short- his opinion was to keep doing C25K, no incline, and don't look at the calorie counter. UGH! I'm such a type-A person. I like to see exactly what I'm burning right then. However, I am more sore than I have ever been walking for an hour, so I guess what he said makes sense now because I'm definitely feeling it. Week 1 was a 5 minute warm up, jog 60 seconds and walk 90 seconds for a total of 20 minutes, then 5 minute cool down for a total of 30 minutes! I have to say I'm loving it and if it wasn't so hot I could actually do it outside. So, hopefully when the weather starts to get cooler I can keep running jogging outside. I'm also still doing Zumba on Friday's and I still love it!

Being the novice that I am, I have a few questions! Has anyone tried c25k? Love it? Hate it? Anyone else experience the calorie counter problem? Incline problem? Corrections (if these statements are false)? or Suggestions? Thanks!

Goals this week:
Week 2 of C25K
One Zumba class
Lose 2 pounds...please, pretty please...with no sugar added on top...haha


MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

As usual, linking up with Ashley!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover